Saturday, April 14, 2007

Don’t judge a book by its cover, but what about its first chapter?

Very few people need convincing of the importance of the internet when it comes to communications. In fact, if you don’t have an online presence, I will likely not even purchase from you. So when it comes to the sales pitch, your webpage (not to mention coming in number 1 on Google) does a huge part of your selling.

In politics, the rules are no different. If you want my vote, you have to sell me the reason why. Partisanship aside, I invite everyone to take a look at the main websites of all 5 major parties. If the website is your front door, what would you think of the homeowner? The Liberal, Green, NDP, and Bloc websites have messages from its leaders , and news articles of issues they want people to know are important to their respective parties. All seem to have positive messages (although my French isn’t great, so I won’t vouch for the Bloc site). When I go to the Conservative site, the most obvious deviation is that the site hardly has a picture of Harper. Instead, front and centre is an unflattering photo of Stéphane Dion. They spend more of their online real estate ridiculing Dion than they spend on pushing forward their own positive ideas (assuming they have any). When I see this site, I think that its creators are hateful people. Rather than proudly strutting their own stuff, they make a mockery of others. Do I really want a Prime Minister who lacks his own ideas? A Prime Minister obsessed with proving that he’s better than his opposition? I can’t get over how childish the website is and how full of hatred the Conservatives must be. Go get an idea, or at least steal one and admit to it.

I don’t want to judge the parties by their covers, but their website is at least their first chapter. The conservatives should consider a revision.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home